I thought the Estero Cottage was neat. Anytime that history can be preserved I think it should be. It's pretty amazing that that cottage has been there for as long as it has. It has definitely seen and survived a lot. I thought that the lady who spoke about the cottage was very informative; it was also obvious that she was passionate about the preservation of the cottage.
The preservation of the Mantanza's pass has helped the local quality of life because of the ecosystems that it protects. Just as Shiva pointed out in our Colloquium Reader, anytime that an ecosystem is protected everyone wins. Those ecosystems help enrich the quality of life of all those surrounding the area. There are microbes present that filter the air and make it of better quality. Also the fish that are present in those ecosystems help fuel the local economy. The cottage itself is a tourist attraction, which also helps the local economy.
I've lived in Sarasota for the past thirteen years and i have seen a lot of change since my family moved here. I don't think I've ever felt a sense of community here simply because it's been large since I've lived here. Things in Sarasota are very spread out, so it's easy to separate yourself from people. For example, I went to high school in the northern part of the county, so long as i avoid that part of Sarasota, i will probably not see anyone i went to high school with since most of them still live in that general area. If a developer offered us 300% of the market value for my childhood home, where i currently reside, i would take it. My parents own this house but allow my husband and i to live here because they needed someone to look after it. I know my dad would gladly take the money since he would like to move out of Florida. My husband and i also plan to move one day so we wouldn't be against the notion either. IF the county approached me after the developer did i would probably decline simply because I'd rather move away.
No comments:
Post a Comment